Whetstone Academy - sharpening the academic, social,
emotional and behavioral skills of young men...
Whetstone Academy was founded in 2011. Whetstone is a therapeutic boarding school for young men. Tucked away in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains near the Chattooga River, our school serves boys between the ages of 10 and 15 in grades five through nine. There will be three occasions throughout the calendar year that Whetstone Academy will be closed and residents will go home on visits. These three 10-day breaks follow our spring, summer, and winter family workshops.
Our morning academic classes traditional and experiential with an afternoon focus on Erdkinder, or farm school, following Maria Montessori’s guidelines for middle-school development while addressing the students’ emotional and behavioral needs. As part of our farm we have animals such as donkeys, goats, pigs, and chickens that we are able to get fresh eggs from daily.
- 57 acres of beautiful mountain landscape for farming, gardening, and outdoor recreation such as skateboarding and mountain biking
- 2.6-acre on-site pond with a dock, perfect for swimming and canoeing and stocked with bream and bass for fishing
- 3,000 feet of our property borders the Sumter National Forest, one of the most beautiful natural forest areas in the southeast
- 5 minutes from the Wild and Scenic Chattooga River
What we offer…
- A therapeutic boarding school - Individual, group, and family therapy
- Open enrollment with flexible lengths of stay - Family workshops
- Team sports- basketball, flag football, and soccer - Music lessons
- Mountain bikes, rip sticks, and skateboards allowed - Adventure trips
- Participation in the local community theater - Animal assisted therapy
"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime."
Whetstone Academy does not discriminate on the basis of an applicant's or employee's
race, color, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic and national origin, or gender.